I have made it my goal to make my apartment look loved and taken care of. When my roommates and I moved in, the apartment was a little worse for wear, although it has tons of underlying charm that I am determined to brush off and show off! Slowly, but surely I am finishing everything,project by project, to complete my goal. This week’s task was to add some fun to the dry ingredient containers in my kitchen.
Now, I picked these little buggers up at Target for about 6.99 a pop, the smaller ones were even cheaper. I will say this now though, I would not recommend getting them. The tops never seem to want to shut. So, if I were you I would spend a little more money and get some from The Container Store or some place similar.
I found some fun colorful paper and cut out a square according to the size of the container. I used a tape measure to get the measurements and then used that to cut out the piece I would use to mod-podge.
Once you have the piece cut out, put a layer of the mod-podge on the glass. Place the paper on top of that and flatten out any bubbles that may appear. It is ok if you can’t get all of them. I find that once you put a layer of mod-podge on top it flattens out.
And to follow that, once it has dried (about 5 minutes), put another layer of mod-podge over the paper. I usually put about two layers of the mod-podge on just to make sure it sticks. If you have any extra mod-podge on the glass, no worries. Just use a straight-edge and scratch away. I used a damped paper towel to then wipe away the rest.
I thought it would be important to add labels, because we all have that friend who doesn’t have a clue what’s what. So, I printed off a black inch by inch triangle with white lettering of whatever dry ingredient I needed. It’s as easy as before, just mod-podge it to the corner.
Stay tuned for bitchin’ kitchen part II
I loved my decorative sticks (yes, people have made fun of me for calling them that) from my holiday center piece so much that I decided to re-vamp it for Valentine’s day.
The sticks were already red and white so I kept them the way they were, but for an extra lovey look I made valentine heart ornaments.
If it makes you feel more comfortable you can create a template for the hearts but I decided to freestyle each heart on the felt because I like the look of every heart looking different. You are going to want to have two same-sized felt hearts for each decoration. Place the two same sized hearts together pin them, so they don’t move. Then, using a sewing machine, sew along the edges.The other thing to remember is that you need something to hang the hearts on the tree. Before you get to the center crease of the heart place the ribbon in between the two felt pieces and then sew over.
Once you’re done, hang them anywhere around your house for a cute Valentines look. I placed it on out centerpiece. But they would look great hanging from any knobs or sew them all together to make a garland.
I thought the glass vase looked a little bare, so decided to add some ribbon. The center of the bow was a little wonky, so I hide that mistake with a cute felt heart. Bwahaha now, no one will know.
Even though the holidays have come to an end it is never to late to jazz up your table this time of year. My roommates and I had a Christmas party and I put together this piece as a Piece de Resistance for the party, but I am finding that I quite enjoy it.- A little too much to get rid right afterwards. I think I may have to find a way to re-purpose it for the upcoming holiday of love (stay tuned for a Valentine’s day update!)
I came across these beautiful red sticks when I went home to my parents for thanksgiving and I had to have them. Fortunately for me they were free in the ravine behind my house, so it just cost me a little bit of manual labor and some time out in the Minnesota cold. My hands were numb by the time I collected everything, but I’m always in favor of finding things free! If you aren’t that lucky, I have seen similar style sticks for sale in any garden store and some fancy-shmancy grocery stores. As I began to plan out my thoughts, things were looking a little bland. I decided to spray-paint half of the sticks white to add a bit of contrast. Black or gold would also have worked but I like the bright white against our dark wood trim. It takes about 3 coats of spray paint to cover the sticks completely. Also- side note- choose a day to spray paint when it isn’t -15 degrees outside. APPARENTLY Minnesota winter turns spray paint into a gelatinous mess. I was forced to retreat to the bathroom and stink up the apartment with fumes- sorry roomies!
There is no real way to describe how I arranged the sticks- I mainly just balanced white and red. Its good to take a step back to make sure that it doesn’t look one sided or awkwardly one color or the other. For the Christmas party I added some ornaments by the recommendation of my roommate. I think it added a little sparkle and really looked FABULOUS. And to add a little extra ambiance I put wine corks and cranberries in glass jars I found at a thrift shop. I think I spent less than $10 on the whole project and it really livened up the look in our dining room. Definitely doable on a small budget. …If you’re willing to risk a minor case of frost bite 🙂